Lilly in Europe
Lilly has had a significant presence in Europe since our first overseas subsidiary was established in the UK in 1934.
• Lilly has doubled annual R&D investments in Europe over the past 10 years to over €450 million and we now employ around 9,000 people across the region.
• We have two major research sites in Europe, in the UK and Spain, in addition to an extensive manufacturing network.
• Approximately one third of our worldwide clinical trials take place in Europe, a total investment of nearly €125 million per annum.
• Our European manufacturing sites are important exporters to other parts of the world, for instance, our Spanish site exports to over 120 countries worldwide and 92% of our Fegersheim (France) site production is exported to over 100 countries on five continents.
• Lilly’s research centre in the UK is home to many of our pioneering innovations, and a centre of excellence in neuroscience. There are currently over 600 people working on the site, with over 45 nationalities working across more than 30 disciplines.
• Lilly supports the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) the largest private-public partnership in Life Science R&D with active participation in some 19 projects for diabetes, neuroscience and oncology, and more than €20m investment.